Appleton lies five and a half miles east of Abingdon. The River Thames forms the western boundary. The parish included the hamlet of Eaton. The soil is heavy clay and loam. Just under half the land was arable, a little less permanent grass, with small amounts of woodland and water.
Wordie, R. (ed.), ‘Enclosure In Berkshire, 1485-1885’ (Reading, 2000) p.6.
OS Map Grid Ref(s): 5, 6