Header Graphic

Place-name search - details

Bray

The small village of Bray lies two miles from Maidenhead, in a large parish including the hamlets of Braywick, Cox Green, Fifield, East Oakley, North Town, Tittle Row, and Touchen End, and part of the market town and ancient borough of Maidenhead. It was part of Windsor Forest. It is on the River Thames and connects with the main road from Maidenhead to Windsor. Over half the land was permanent grass, approximately one fifth arable and there was a small amount of woodland.

Further reading
Wordie, R. (ed.), ‘Enclosure In Berkshire, 1485-1885’ (Reading, 2000) pp24-26. Poynter, D.J., 'Parliamentary enclosure of Bray' Berkshire Old & New (v.8) (1991) pp.20-29.


 

OS Map Grid Ref(s): 31, 39

 

Parliamentary Enclosure Maps & Awards

Bray (1787. See also Windsor Forest) - Ref: Q/RDC/76A [ View Image(s) ] [ Search Awards Index ]

Bray (1817. See also Windsor Forest) - Ref: Q/RDC/101A [ View Image(s) ] [ Search Awards Index ]

Bray (1817. See also Windsor Forest) - Ref: Q/RDC/101B [ View Image(s) ] [ Search Awards Index ]

Bray (1817. See also Windsor Forest) - Ref: Q/RDC/101C [ View Image(s) ] [ Search Awards Index ]

 

[ Back to parish list ]

 

 


This page was printed from the BRO New Landscapes website on 21/11/2017.