Header Graphic

Place-name search - details

Burghfield

The small village of Burghfield lies five miles southwest of Reading. The parish included the hamlets of Burghfield Common, Pingewood and Sheffield Bottom. It is on the road to Reading, and the River Kennet and the Kennet and Avon Canal pass through. The soil is clay. Just under half the land was permanent pasture, just over a quarter arable, and a small amount woodland.

Further reading
Wordie, R. (ed.), ‘Enclosure In Berkshire, 1485-1885’ (Reading, 2000) pp.34-35.


Acreage: 4311
Population 1801: 738
  1831: 965
  1861: 1139

 

OS Map Grid Ref(s): 36, 37, 44, 45

 

Parliamentary Enclosure Maps & Awards

Burghfield (1841) - Ref: Q/RDC/63A [ View Image(s) ] [ Search Awards Index ]

Burghfield (1841) - Ref: Q/RDC/63B [ View Image(s) ] [ Search Awards Index ]

Burghfield (1853) - Ref: Q/RDC/99A [ View Image(s) ] [ Search Awards Index ]

Burghfield (1853) - Ref: Q/RDC/99B [ View Image(s) ] [ Search Awards Index ]

 

[ Back to parish list ]

 

 


This page was printed from the BRO New Landscapes website on 24/09/2017.