Header Graphic

Place-name search - details

Chaddleworth

Chaddleworth lies nine miles northwest of Newbury, on the Downs. The parish included the hamlet of Woolley. It is on the main road from Hungerford to Wantage. The soil is chalk and clay. More than half the land was arable, the remainder being equally divided between permanent grass and woodland.

Further reading
Wordie, R. (ed.), ‘Enclosure In Berkshire, 1485-1885’ (Reading, 2000) pp.37-38.


Acreage: 3400
Population 1801: 385
  1831: 494
  1861: 539

 

OS Map Grid Ref(s): 20, 26

 

Parliamentary Enclosure Maps & Awards

Chaddleworth (1813) - Ref: D/P32/26A [ View Image(s) ] [ Search Awards Index ]

Chaddleworth (1813) - Ref: D/P32/26B [ View Image(s) ] [ Search Awards Index ]

 

[ Back to parish list ]

 

 


This page was printed from the BRO New Landscapes website on 23/09/2017.