Chilton lies about seven miles from Wantage on the Downs in west Berkshire. It is off the main road from Newbury to Abingdon. The soil is chalk and light gravel. Approximately two thirds of the land was arable, a fifth permanent grass and a small amount woodland.
Wordie, R. (ed.), ‘Enclosure In Berkshire, 1485-1885’ (Reading, 2000) pp.42-43.
OS Map Grid Ref(s): 15, 21