Header Graphic

Place-name search - details

Chilton Foliat

Chilton Foliat lies two miles northwest of Hungerford, in east Wiltshire. The parish straddled the boundary between Berkshire and Wiltshire, and included the hamlets of East Soley and West Soley in the Wiltshire portion of the parish, and Leverton, Calcot and Hayward in the Berkshire portion. It is on the road from Hungerford to Marlborough, and the River Kennet passes through. The soil is mainly chalk with some clay-with-flints in the north, and alluvium. There was much meadow land.

Further reading
'Victoria County History: Wiltshire'.


Acreage: 3494
Population 1801: 616
  1831: 761
  1861: 546

 

OS Map Grid Ref(s): 33

 

Parliamentary Enclosure Maps & Awards

Chilton Foliat (1813) - Ref: C54/9439 [ View Image(s) ] [ Search Awards Index ]

Chilton Foliat (1813) - Ref: MR1/373 [ View Image(s) ] [ Search Awards Index ]

 

[ Back to parish list ]

 

 


This page was printed from the BRO New Landscapes website on 26/09/2017.