Header Graphic

Place-name search - details

Stanford-in-the-Vale

The scattered village of Stanford-in-the-Vale lies four miles southeast of Faringdon and five miles from Wantage, in the Vale of White Horse. The parish included the chapelry of Goosey. It is just off the main road from Faringdon to Wantage and on the River Ock. The soil is rich loam and clay. Nearly half the land was permanent grass, nearly one third arable and a small amount of water and woodland.

Further reading
Wordie, R. (ed.), 'Enclosure In Berkshire, 1485-1885' (Reading, 2000) p.146.


Acreage: 3895
Population 1801: 746
  1831: 1016
  1861: 1276

 

OS Map Grid Ref(s): 8, 9, 13

 

Parliamentary Enclosure Maps & Awards

Stanford-in-the-Vale (1784) - Ref: D/P118/26A [ View Image(s) ] [ Search Awards Index ]

 

[ Back to parish list ]

 

 


This page was printed from the BRO New Landscapes website on 22/11/2017.