Welford lies six miles northwest of Newbury. The parish included the chapelry of Wickham and the hamlets of Easton, Hoe Benham, and Weston. It is on the River Lambourn and the River Kennet forms the southern boundary. The main road from London to Bath and roads to Newbury and Lambourn run through the parish. The soil is mostly chalky and clay, with some sand, gravel, peat and alluvium.
Wordie, R. (ed.), 'Enclosure In Berkshire, 1485-1885' (Reading, 2000) pp.186-189.
OS Map Grid Ref(s): 26, 34